Saturday, April 26, 2008

pot roast turned out well

I did it by my mom's method. (It's my favorite way to get acquainted with cooking a new food--try it how my mom does it and then play with it from there, if I even need to!)

In this case it meant I browned it on all sides, then nearly submerged it in water and gave it a good simmer until it got really tender. I also threw in some carrots and potatoes to boil in the meat water as the meat finished up.

At the last minute I decided I wanted to make some gravy too. I don't really know the first thing about gravy, except that you start with a roux, and that it involves flour and meat juices, but it turned out okay--a bit bland but definitely edible. Some salt and bay leaf fixed that up okay, and the meat was tender and moist enough that it didn't really need gravy anyway. The thing I ended up being proud of with the gravy was that I didn't burn it to the bottom of the pot. :)

2 comments:

Diana said...

So here's what you do about bland gravy. Taste the cooking liquid before you thicken it. It should taste just about how you want the gravy to taste but just a bit stronger. If it is not strong enough you take out the meat and veggies and boil the liquid till it is stronger tasting. This is called "reducing". Then thicken it and it should be right. Oh - and don't leave out salt. It belongs in gravy and makes it taste "gravy like".

Mum

Unknown said...

I love you mum! Oh, and I wanted to share with you that Alton Brown also have a great recipe for pot roast....