Thursday, August 7, 2008

gorgeous bread!

I have a favorite bread recipe, which I make pretty much whenever the weather's not too hot. I prefer making bread at home to buying it in the store anyway. I made this today:...and then in the spirit of what Alison and I have been talking about, I got to wondering whether/how economical it really is to make my own bread. I did a bunch of research, and here's what I came up with:

1 package yeast --67 cents
1/4 cup warm water
7/8 cup warm water
1 1/2 tsp salt --1 cent
1 1/2 tbsp sugar --2 cents
1 tbsp vegetable oil --4 cents
3-3 1/2 cups flour --56 cents

Whole loaf: $1.30
Comparable loaf from the store: $3.89
Saved: $2.59!

Even if you're just getting a loaf of Wonder Bread, it's $3.19. I'd much rather have mine!

3 comments:

Jared said...

Price comparisons are fun aren't they? Chris and I do it often. Lobster dinner is about the same as sandwiches at the deli!

Christibale said...

Hey.. That bread is made with white flour, aren't you a hippie yet.

And yes, every time we haven an urge to go out, I just say that we should head to the store to get a lobster because the bill would be about the same. Sad huh?

Melissa said...

Okay, okay, so I'm spoiled and like white bread. :) Actually I was thinking I ought to make some wheat bread but all we have right now is white flour!

At least it's unbleached. I get credit for that, right?