Friday, August 8, 2008

baked macaroni & cheese casserole

This is the best mac & cheese in the WORLD and makes a giant casserole. It used to feed my whole 5-person family when I was growing up, with leftovers!

1 box (16 oz.) elbow macaroni --$1.20
8 oz. cheddar cheese, grated --$2.00
2 tbsp butter or oil --8 cents (vegetable oil)
1/4 tsp salt --negligible
2 tbsp flour --2 cents
2 cups milk --50 cents
1 sleeve saltine crackers --43 cents
Total: $4.23

That's less than $1 per person.

If anyone wants me to start posting recipes instead of just ingredient lists, I can totally do that, but for right now I'm mostly excited about the prices (and how low they are)!

1 comment:

Diana said...

Don't forget the soup made in a slow cooker with beef shank (very tasty and cheap), frozen veggies, canned tomato and diced potato. This was a favorite when you all were little. I think you have the recipe?

Also chili made with turkey which is much less expensive and more lean than beef. Tastes good too.